Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
Prepare the fried endives and ham
Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
Prepare 750 g endives (head of chicory), but leave raw, rather than blanching.
Pour 3 tablespoons olive oil into a frying pan on medium heat. When hot, fry the endive halves for a few minutes on each side until nicely browned.
- 3 min.Using the same pan, pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry 4 slices smoked ham on both sides.
- 3 min.
Assemble the tart
Roll out the puff pastry and line the tin or mould. Spread out the slices of fried ham in the bottom...
- 5 min....then the endives.
- 2 min.Pour in the filling mixture and scatter 50 g grated cheese over the top.
- 35 min.
Cook the tart
Bake low in the oven (to make sure the bottom of the tart cooks properly) until the top is browned - about 30 minutes or so.
Eat warm or cold with a good green salad and french dressing (vinaigrette), for example.
Remarks:If you would prefer a slightly milder flavour, you can blanch the endives.
On the other hand, if you would prefer a stronger flavour, fry the endives and add 2 tablespoonsful of vinegar at the end.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Endives (head of chicory): You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Endives "bonne femme", How to prepare endives , Endive and beer soup, Flamiche, Endives , ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Puits d'amour, Vegetable rosette tart, Small foie gras pasties, Caramelised apple pie, Millefeuille, ... [All]
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs "en cocotte" with spinach, Spinach and ricotta ravioli, Rice and peas, Cod loin with saffron, Toffee apple upside-down cake, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Profiteroles, Crackers, Ciabatta, Blackcurrant, vanilla and lime verrine , Loaf for "les filles'", ... [All]