Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 3 min.
- 6 min.Knead on minimum speed for 5 to 8 minutes, until the dough is evenly mixed and elastic.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 5 min.Tip out onto the worktop without flour, and stretch...
- 5 min.... then fold back on itself a number of times.
You can see how to do this in the recipe for leavened bread which has videos showing the movement.
- 2 hoursNext place the dough in a bowl, cover with a plastic sheet, and leave in a warm place until doubled in volume, which will take 2-3 hours.
- 5 min.After this time, tip the dough out onto the worktop, press to expell the CO2 gas that has formed, and shape into a ball.
- 10 min.Cut the ball of dough into smaller pieces of about 50 g.
- 10 min.Then roll each piece under your hand to make a nice ball and place on a baking sheet, as shown in this short video.
You will see that you should try to keep both thumb and little finger straight (these roll the ball), and the other 3 fingers curved over the top.
- 5 min.The dough is very sticky, which is quite normal, but means that they risk sticking to the plastic sheet when covered again.
This little trick will help to avoid this: place a glass in the middle of each sheet between the rolls...
- 2 min.And lay the plastic sheet over the glasses, so that the dough does not stick to it.
- 5 min.Leave the rolls to rise and double in volume for 1 or 2 hours in a warm place.
Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F).
Just before baking, brush the rolls with a little milk to help them brown.
- 20 min.Cook for about 20 minutes until golden brown, then leave to cool on a wire rack.
Remarks:Ciabattas are great on their own, but you can use them to make delicious sandwiches, or for hamburgers.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Elsa's Comtoise galette, Strawberry and rhubarb crumble, Cheese tart, Chocolate sweetcrust pastry, Little lemon biscuits, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Liège waffles, Chaud-froid of grapefruit, pineapple and lime custard , Crème caramel, How to heat milk without it catching on the bottom of the pan, Gougères, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Vietnamese prawns, Rum babas, Quick orange marmalade, Morel risotto with Vin Jaune and Mont d'Or, Special small breads, ... [All]
- Olive oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Purple artichokes braised in white wine, Crispy potato and mushroom brik rolls, Greek salad, Tomato omelette, Escalope of veal in a cream sauce, ... [All]