Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 10 min.Knead on slow speed for 10 minutes.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 3 min.
- 1 hourGather the dough (it is quite normal for this to be very sticky) into a ball and transfer to a clean bowl. Cover with a sheet of plastic. Leave to rest for 1 hour.
- 2 min.After resting, "break" the dough (similar to knocking back with a firmer dough) by stretching it upwards and letting it fall back sharply into the bowl. Do this 2 or 3 times.
- 4 hoursGather the dough into a ball again, cover with plastic film and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 3 min.The dough will be easier to handle when it is really cold. Tip it onto a floured work surface and press it flat, then shape into a loaf: round, long (like this one), or whatever you prefer.
Place the loaf on a baking sheet.
- 1 hour 30 min.Glaze and leave to rest for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 1 min.Preheat the oven to 370°F (190°C).
Glaze the loaf again.
- 40 min.Slash the top in a criss-cross pattern (French bakers call this a "polka" cut).
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Remarks:You can make a richer tourton by adding chocolate chips or raisins.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sauce Normande (for fish), Fougasse with bacon and Comté, Gâteau Basque , Cannelés, Crackers, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Thin endive tart, Toasted almond cake, Chocolate sauce, Crème brulée, Loaf for "les filles'", ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs "en cocotte" with spinach, Corsican tarts, Sautéed Green Vegetables, Melting Epoisses on toast , Brioche Tatin, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Real custard sauce (crème anglaise), Apricot blancmange, Little caramelized peach tarts, Caramelised apple pie, Ice-cream Vacherin, ... [All]