Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 10 min.Knead on slow speed for 10 minutes.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 3 min.
- 1 hourGather the dough (it is quite normal for this to be very sticky) into a ball and transfer to a clean bowl. Cover with a sheet of plastic. Leave to rest for 1 hour.
- 2 min.After resting, "break" the dough (similar to knocking back with a firmer dough) by stretching it upwards and letting it fall back sharply into the bowl. Do this 2 or 3 times.
- 4 hoursGather the dough into a ball again, cover with plastic film and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 3 min.The dough will be easier to handle when it is really cold. Tip it onto a floured work surface and press it flat, then shape into a loaf: round, long (like this one), or whatever you prefer.
Place the loaf on a baking sheet.
- 1 hour 30 min.Glaze with beaten egg using a brush and leave to rest for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 1 min.Preheat the oven to 370°F (190°C).
Brush the loaf with beaten egg again.
- 40 min.Slash the top in a criss-cross pattern (French bakers call this a "polka" cut).
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Remarks:You can make a richer tourton by adding chocolate chips or raisins.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pink Reims biscuits, Coconut tuiles, Arlesian Biscuits, French croissants, Almond tuiles, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Alsatian apple tart, Crème de foie gras, Apricot blancmange, Crème brulée, Gougères, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Fruit crumble, Chocolate cereal bars, Montbenoit's canapés, Curried prawn risotto, Langoustine and leek tarts, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Corsican tarts, Saint Honoré cake, Citrus crunch, Cookies, Elsa's Comtoise galette, ... [All]