Step by step recipe:
- 30 min.
- 2 min.
Make the light verbena custardRinse and dry 2 sprigs verbena.
Pick off the leaves and discard the stalks.
- 3 min.Cut the verbena leaves with scissors into a saucepan containing 250 ml whole milk.
- 5 min.Bring to the boil, then cover and leave to infuse for at least 15 minutes.
- 30 min.After this, strain the milk and discard the verbena leaves. Use this flavoured milk to make a verbena confectioner's custard or french pastry cream (see here for details).
- 20 min.When the verbena custard is finished, cover it and stand the saucepan in cold water to cool it.
- 5 min.
- 1 min.When the verbena custard and the meringue are more or less at the same temperature, put two tablespoonsfuls of meringue into the custard.
- 3 min.Mix gently with a whisk, just to "loosen" the custard a little, as it is firmer than the meringue.
- 4 min.
- You will now have a light custard with a delicious verbena flavour.
- 10 min.
Prepare the peach slicesPeel 1 kg 500 g peach by plunging them into boiling water fro 10 seconds...
- ...then transfer them to cold water.
- The peaches will now be easy to peel.
- 10 min.Cut the peaches into quarters...
- 5 min....and remove the hard red part that was next to the stone. Then slice in half again lengthways.
Put the peach slices into a bowl and sprinkle with a mixture of 5 tablespoons Sugar syrup and 3 tablespoons lemon juice to stop them turning brown. Mix round gently.
If you will not be using the peaches immediately, cover them with plastic film and refrigerate until needed.
- 4 min.
Assemble the feuilletéCover the pastry base (feuilletage) with an even layer of the light verbena custard.
- 10 min.Drain the peach slices and arrange them in a double rosette on the custard.
- 1 min.To finish, decorate with a small sprig of verbena.
Remarks:You will have noticed that the peaches in this recipe have not been poached. This is not necessary in their main season, or towards the end of it. Poaching is more useful for the first peaches of the season, and you can see how to poach peaches here.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Peach: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to poach peaches, Peach Melba, Little caramelized peach tarts, Peach and green tea tart, Peach and mint salad , ... [All]
- Whole milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Panna cotta, Pistachio ice cream, Gâteau Basque , Rice pudding (riz au lait), Celeriac and mushroom gratin, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ham spirals, Tomato and courgette tart, Ham "friand" pie, Little apple turnovers with almonds and raisins, Mini lemon millefeuilles, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Crème brulée, Sugar syrup, Coconut rocks, Nanou's chocolate cake, Corsican tarts, ... [All]