Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 3 min.Meanwhile, tip 6 egg yolks into a bowl and beat on high speed.
- 5 min.When the sugar syrup has reached 120°C (250°F), reduce the mixer speed and pour the syrup fairly quickly (30 seconds maximum) onto the egg yolks.
Try to avoid the syrup landing on the beaters or it will splash everywhere.
- 10 min.Leave the mixer beating for a further 10 minutes or so to cool the mixture.
- 10 min.After this time add 180 g butter a little at a time while still beating on slow speed, until the butter is completely incorporated.
- The butter cream is ready.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.Fold the beaten egg whites into the cream to lighten the texture while keeping the original flavour.
- 5 min.
Remarks:The cream should be stored in the fridge in a sealed container. Take it out 1 hour before using to allow it to soften.
Butter cream is out of favour in modern patisseries, for one thing it's full of calories, and these days the taste is for less rich foods. But also, I fear, beacause it is so easy for a poor baker (whether industrial or not) to make a bad butter cream by mixing margarine with sugar and artifical flavouring. This awful cream eventually put customers off all the good butter creams, which is a shame, as I know people who would give anything for a decent real butter cream with praline for example.
Recipes which use it: 1
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ramekins of duchess potatoes, Kugelhof for Nanou, Apple Tatin Terrine, Chocolate muffins, Pilau rice, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rice pudding (riz au lait), Chouquettes, Half-cooked chocolate cake with raspberry coulis, Blackcurrant liqueur, Stewed plums, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rum babas, Peach and verbena feuilleté, Apple Batter Puddings, Chocolate eclairs, Passion fruit jellies, ... [All]
- Egg yolk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Little lemon biscuits, Household cake (Gâteau de ménage), Pistachio ice cream, Vanilla ice cream, Gâteau Breton (Brittany butter cake), ... [All]