Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Slice the onions thinly. If you have one, a mandolin will make this job a lot quicker.
This seems like a lot of onions to begin with, but they will reduce by 2/3 when cooked.
- 1 min.Pour 3 tablespoons oil into a large pan on medium heat.
When hot, add the onions and mix well.
- 20 min.Leave to cook gently until caramelized, stirring from time to time.
- The onions will gradually brown.
- Stop when they are browned to your liking.
Salt and pepper to taste...
Remarks:Once cooked, the onions will need quite a generous amount of salt as the process tends to make them rather sweet.
You can balance this sweetness, which can be a bit excessive at times, by pouring half a glass of dry white wine or 3 tablespoonsful of vinegar into the pan 5 minutes before the end of cooking.
Recipes which use it: 3
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Onion: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cauliflower tabouleh, Salmon marinated like herring, Summer Salmon Blanquette, Oven omelette, Cassoulet, ... [All]
- Oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tournedos Rossini, How to prevent butter burning during cooking, Warm scallop and cabbage salad, Pears and caramelised walnut samosas , Chicken breasts in a potato crust, ... [All]
- Salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mexican ceviche, Fish fillet with preserved lemons, Endive and walnut salad, Pizza dough, Firied fillet of sea bream with polenta, ... [All]