Step by step recipe:
- 43 min.Prepare 450 g Choux pastry (pâte à choux), but add 3 times the sugar of the original recipe.
- 10 min.Make small regular heaps with the choux pastry on a baking sheet, about the size of a Euro or pound coin (1.5 cm or half an inch).
- As always with this sort of work, you'll find a forcing bag very useful.
If you don't have one, use 2 teaspoons: one to scoop up the mixture from the pan, the other to push it out.
- 2 min.
- 5 min.Throw 30 g Pearl sugar onto the heaps with a short sharp gesture which will help the crystals stick to the beaten egg.
Finish with a dusting of caster sugar, or granulated sugar if you have some.
- 25 min.Put in the oven immediately at 210°C (420°F) for about 25 minutes. Watch the colouration carefully, and turn the sheet back to front if the cooking is not even.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Your chouquettes are ready.
- Here's a variation for the summer: cut the cold chouquettes in half horizontally with a serrated knife.
- Fill the chouquette halves and replace the tops.
Remarks:Please note, chouquettes do not keep well. You can keep them in an airtight tin for just a day or two, but after this they tend to dry out. If filled with cream they keep even less well, just a few hours in the fridge.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Choux pastry (pâte à choux): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Gougères, Puits d'amour, Paris-Brest, Valay-Brest, Profiteroles, ... [All]
- Pearl sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Brioche feuilletée (flaky brioche), St Tropez tart, Milk rolls, Benoîton, Liège waffles, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stewed apricots, Apple crisps, Rice pudding (riz au lait), Stewed plums, Norman flambéed apples, ... [All]
- Beaten egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rustic chicken and mushroom pie, Flaky brownie brioche, Chestnut moelleux, Olive twists, Cochelin d'Evreux, ... [All]