Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
Spread 200 g whole almonds out on a baking sheet and 200 g whole almonds on another.
Take the pistachios out of the oven after 10 minutes and the almonds after 15 minutes.
- Check the temperature as it rises (use a electronic thermometer), until it reaches 150°C (302°F).
- 20 min.The honey will cause the mixture to froth. Watch it carefully as it tends to boil over.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.As soon as the sugar mixture reaches 150°C (302°F), slow down the mixer and slowly pour the liquid into the beaten egg whites so that it is evenly mixed in.
- 5 min.Leave the beater running for another 5 minutes to give the egg-white mixture time to cool down a little.
Note: In effect you are making italian meringue with honey. You will see what a beautiful ivory colour this gives.
- 3 min.Change beaters: replace the whisk attachment with the flat beater or paddle ("K" beater for Kenwood) as the next stage requires more force.
- 5 min.Set the food processor going again on slow speed, then tip in the mixed almonds and pistachios a few at a time.
- 5 min.Leave to mix thoroughly...
- 3 min....then scoop out half the nougat onto a sheet of rice paper.
- 5 min.Place a second sheet of rice paper on top and roll, using a rolling pin (you can put blocks on either side to keep the thickness even; here I'm using 2 steel rules).
- 10 min.Cut the nougat into strips...
- 20 min....then into blocks of whatever size you like.
Do the same for the remaining nougat.
You nougat is ready to be enjoyed.
Remarks:If you would like your nougat very white, like the commercially-produced version, replace half the honey with a mixture of sugar and glucose syrup in equal quantities.
Source:From the Internet, but with my personnal adaptations.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Honey: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Panettone, Cranachan, Nonettes, Gingerbread, Chocolate madeleines, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stewed rhubarb, Pear and lime meringue pie, Flambéd bananas , Pistachio custard tart, Blackcurrant, vanilla and lime verrine , ... [All]
- Whole almonds: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Tomato pesto, Moist cereal bars, Beetroot and fried chicken salad, Praline, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, ... [All]
- Pistachios: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pistachio panna cotta with custard, Pistachio shortbread biscuits, Moist cereal bars, Saucipain, Chocolate thins with toasted nuts, ... [All]