Step by step recipe:
- 2 hours
- 5 min.Begin assembling the peach Melba:
Place 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream in the bottom of each dish.
- 5 min.Add a layer of peaches.
- 5 min.Pour some raspberry coulis over.
- 5 min.Finish with Chantilly cream and serve immediately.
Remarks:There have been innumerable versions of peach Melba, and just as many strange uses of the term (who has not seen any-old-thing 'Melba', as soon as vanilla ice cream and whipped cream are involved). It's worth remembering that this is the original recipe.
It would be unusual to find the original recipe in most people's kitchens these days, so here's an extract from the master chef's own book 'Ma Cuisine':
'Fill the dishes to three-quarters of their height with vanilla ice-cream; place half a tender-fleshed peach, poached in vanilla syrup, in the centre, the outside of the peach resting on the ice cream; place a stone made of praline marzipan in the hollow, giving the illusion of a real stone. Coat with raspberry purée with a little Chantilly cream added. Cover with a light veil of spun sugar.'
At the same time, I wonder if it's possible to taste the original dish anywhere now? Far from certain.
Even so, we can look out for the essential flavours (which chefs call 'markers') which should be present to get somewhere near the original: vanilla ice cream, poached peach, raspberry, praline marzipan and Chantilly cream.
Source:After Auguste Escoffier.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Vanilla ice cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ice-cream Vacherin, Little caramelized peach tarts, Profiteroles, Poire Belle Hélène, Baked Alaska, ... [All]
- Chantilly cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chouquettes, Belle-helene in a glass, Strawberry Charlotte, Key Lime Pie for Jeremy, Cranachan, ... [All]
- Fruit coulis (fruit purée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Framboisier, Macarons (the original French macaroons) , European glass, Half-cooked chocolate cake with raspberry coulis, Coupe Augustin, ... [All]
- Peach: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Coupe Augustin, Peach and blackcurrant coupe, How to poach peaches, Peach and verbena feuilleté, Peach and mint salad , ... [All]