Step by step recipe:
- 50 min.Prepare 500 g potato purée. (Note that the French potato purée is more liquid than British-style mashed potatoes).
- 5 min.Cut 250 g cheese into thin shreds. A vegetable peeler is the ideal tool for this.
- 2 min.On low heat, add a few shreds of cheese to the potato purée.
- 20 min.Then stir until the cheese is completely melted.
Repeat this operation until all the cheese has been incorporated.
- Your aligot can be served at this stage, but traditionally, the stirring should be continued (though this is rather tiring) until it becomes stretchy and can be pulled out of the pan.
- Serve piping hot, on its own or with a traditional French sausage, for example.
Remarks:You can use any cheese of your choice, but for a "real" aligot, you should use a "tome fraiche" from Laguiole.
If you like garlic, add a finely chopped clove at the same time as the cheese.
And to drink?A red wine such as a Côte d'Auvergne, made from Pinot Noir grapes.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potato purée: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Potato and two ham gratin, Two-stage beef chuck , Upside-down Parmentier, Colcannon, Hachis parmentier : meat with mashed potato and cheese, ... [All]
- Cheese: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Grilled cheese, Truffade, Croque-monsieur complet, French toast "cordon bleu", Warm cauliflower salad with two cheeses, ... [All]
- Salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cretan-style salmon , Raw beetroot salad, Flognarde, Shallot confit tart, Cod loin with saffron, ... [All]
- Pepper: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Grated potato cakes, Loin of pork with herbs and julienne vegetables , How to fry eggs well, Stuffed tomatoes and courgettes, Winegrowers' sausage casserole, ... [All]