Step by step recipe:
- 7 min.
- 30 min.Sprinkle the insides of the tomatoes with fine salt and stand them upside down on a wire rack.
Leave for at least 30 minutes for some of the juices to drain off.
- 1 min.Coat the outside of the tomatoes with olive oil, using a brush, then salt them.
- 2 min.
Fill the tomatoes
Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
Sit each tomato in a ramekin (to stop them splitting during cooking), then put a teaspoonful of caramelized onions in the bottom of each one.
- 2 min.Pour an egg white into each tomato. Keep the yolks separate.
- 20 min.
Cook the egg whites
Bake the egg whites in the tomatoes for about 20 minutes until set.
- 1 min.
Cook the egg yolks
Gently place an egg yolk onto the top of each tomato, salt and pepper, then return to the oven for 1 minute - just enough to heat the yolk through, not cook it (this is important).
- Serve immediately.
Remarks:To bring out the flavour of the tomatoes, cook them empty in the oven for 20 minutes before adding the egg whites.
To make the eggs look more attractive, brush the yolk with olive oil just before serving to give it a really appetising gloss.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Tomato: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Little vegetable omelettes, Stuffed tomatoes and courgettes, Spaghetti Bolognese, Tomato omelette, Hamburgers, ... [All]
- Caramelized Onions: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stuffed Mushrooms, Loaf for "les filles'", ... [All]
- Egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Grandma Solange's biscuits, Dipping bread with cheese, Flamiche, Plain cake, How to cook hard-boiled eggs properly , ... [All]
- Olive oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Vegetable clafoutis, Rice and peas, Crispy smoked salmon and herb rolls, Gratin of purple artichokes, Couscous, ... [All]