Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.
- 5 min.
- 1 hourPut in the oven to "confit" for about 1 hour.
Turn the oven up to 430°F (220°C).
- 4 min.Pour 200 ml liquid cream into a small saucepan on medium heat and bring to the boil.
- 3 min.Add 100 g Époisses, cut into pieces, and stir until melted in. Do not add any salt, as the cheese should be salty enough, but pepper generously. Then check the seasoning.
- 2 min.Lay 4 slices cured ham out flat on a baking sheet...
- 5 min....and grill lightly in the oven for just 3 or 4 minutes.
- 5 min.
- 1 min.Lay the ham slices evenly across the bottom.
- 2 min.Pour the cream and à‰poisses mixture over.
- 3 min.Finish with a layer of shallot confit.
- 40 min.Bake low in the overn (better for the puff pastry) for about 40 minutes. Do watch that the pastry does not brown too much.
- Serve hot or warm with a good green salad and vinaigrette (french dressing).
Remarks:You can use onions instead of shallots in this recipe, but do remember that onions have quite a sweet flavour when prepared as a confit.
If you don't have puff pastry, use shortcrust pastry instead, though the effect will be less refined.
You can also use a different cheese instead of à‰poisses, but try to opt for one with a similar soft past, such as Roblochon.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Shallot: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Creamy risotto with vegetables , Escalope of veal in a cream sauce, Mushroom Pancakes au Gratin, Koulibiak in pie dish, Sliced cauliflower with 3 cheeses, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Like Bounty, Mushrooms on toast, French style, Creamy risotto with diced vegetables and flax seeds, Chocolate mug cake, Salmon with sorrel, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cochelin d'Evreux, Thin endive tart, Vegetable pie, Smoked salmon sacristains, Small foie gras pasties, ... [All]