Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Preheat the oven to 210°C or 410°F.
Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into a tart mould or tin, spread it all over the bottom with a brush.
Line this with 1 Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée). If you have a protection paper with the puff pastry, leave it, and grease between paper and pastry.
If needed cut around the top of the tin to remove excess pastry.
- 3 min.Prick the bottom of pastry with a fork all over to prevent it rising too much during cooking.
Spread out 3 tablespoons French mustard all over the puff pastry, with the back of a tablespoon or a brush.
Leave to wait in the refrigerator.
- 20 min.
- 10 min.Lay the best tomato slices around the bottom of the pastry case, as regularly as possible.
Use a metallic spatula or a fork to place the slices, it's easier than with fingers.
- 3 min.Finish by filling the centre of the tart with the tomato offcuts.
- 1 min.Add a dash of olive oil (with herbs if possible).
- 1 min.If you have them, scatter some chopped herbs on the top, then put on a low shelf in the oven in the oven for approximately 30/40 minutes.
- 35 min.The tart is cooked when the bottom of the pastry is cooked, i.e golden brown.
Best eaten warm.
- Possible alternative:
For a stronger tomato flavour, you can, after adding the mustard and before the tomatoes, add a layer of pizza sauce.
Remarks:The tomatoes depending on of their origin and ripeness could give off a lot of juice, which can be a bit annoying as it makes the pastry soggy. To try to reduce this there are several methods:
- Do not salt before cooking, because it's the salt which brings out the juice. Instead salt salt just after bringing out of the oven.
- Drain off as most of the juice partway through cooking, but it's a slightly delicate operation. For this Francoise uses a large plastic ex-medical syringe.
- Salt the the tomatoes and leave the juice to drain off before using (see above).
Source:A good cookery magazine found at Françoise and Robert's place.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Tomato: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mixed salad stack, Mixed salad, Chicken and Avocado Salad, Multicoloured cucumber-tomato salad, Breton Sandwich, ... [All]
- French mustard: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pork chops in the oven, Rabbit with mustard, French dressing (vinaigrette), Hamburgers, Filet mignon with mustard and tarragon sauce, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Maroilles cheese quiche, Shallot confit tart, Thin endive tart, Rustic chicken and mushroom pie, Tomato feuilleté with pesto, ... [All]