Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.
- 10 min.Peel 300 g turnip, rinse and cut into chunks.
Peel 300 g potatoes, rinse and cut into chunks.
- 8 min.
- 7 min.Cut 400 g beef and 400 g chicken breast into fairly large dice.
- 12 min.Pour 4 tablespoons oil into a large casserole or stewpot on high heat.
When really hot, fry the meat rapidly until browned, starting with the chicken, then the beef.
- Set aside the meat.
- 2 min.Add 4 tablespoons oil to the pan and when hot, add the chopped onion.
Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3 min.Tip in all the vegetables and meats, add 4 tablespoons chili spices, salt and pepper, then stir well.
Cook for 2 or 3 minutes like this, stirring frequently.
- 2 min.
- 5 min.Bring to the boil.
- 2 hoursCover, turn the heat down to its lowest and leave to cook for at least 2 hours.
- 10 min.Shortly before serving, prepare 800 g Polenta.
- Bring both the hotpot and the polenta pan straight to the table, so that everyone can help themselves to polenta first, then spoon the vegetables, meat and cooking juices on top.
Remarks:Taos hotpot, like any slow-cooked dish, can be reheated and served again several times - it just gets better every time. As the quantities are mostly for guidance, do adapt it to suit whatever vegetables or meat you have handy.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Classic French white bread, Ali Baba bread, Aperitif rolls, Mushroom velouté, Eggs meurette, ... [All]
- Polenta: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rata-tart, Firied fillet of sea bream with polenta, Polenta with spinach and soft-poached egg, ... [All]
- Potimarron (Japanese chestnut pumpkin): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to prepare a pumpkin (or potimarron), Potimarron braised in meat jus, Stuffed pumpkin gratin, Potimarron (Japanese chestnut pumpkin) purée, Potimarron and celeriac autumn soup, ... [All]
- Chicken breast: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Vol-au-vent, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), Chinese style chicken, Chicken pie, Stuffed pumpkin gratin, ... [All]