Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 4 min.Knead for 4 minutes on medium speed (position "1"), or manually until you get a smooth elastic dough.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 2 hoursGather the dough into a ball, dust with flour, then cover with a plastic sheet. Leave to rise at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours, until the dough is doubled in volume.
- 5 min.
- 30 min.Then roll out the balls of dough into flat rounds approximately 10-15 cm (4-6") diameter and about 5 mm ( ¼") thick (they should not be any thinner).
- 10 min.Cook the pitta:
- Using a wood fire if you have a bread oven
- In a convential oven at 240°C ou 464°F, directly on the oven floor
- 3 min.If you use a bread oven, take care because the pitta cook very quickly (one minute or less!), and need to be turned round and over to colour uniformly.
Your pitta bread is finished.
- You could throw a "pitta party", preparing everything to be put out on the table, leaving your guests to assemble their own pitta sandwiches. Choose a variety of fillings such as:
Diced tomato and cucumber with herbs and vinaigrette.
- Diced avocado in a lime and olive oil vinaigrette.
- To make a pitta sandwich, cut in half while still warm.
- Then fill the pocket of each half as you choose from the suggestions above.
Remarks:An idea to try: a complete pitta meal with a savoury course as described above, and a sweet course with small diced fruit, custard cream or whipped cream, melted chocolate, etc... For the sweet part, it's a good idea to dust the pittas with caster sugar before puting them to the oven, so that they caramelize slightly.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Two-olive ciabatta, Crunchy little pieces of fish, Cherry clafoutis, Fillet of beef in a rosemary crust, French croissants, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spaghetti Bolognese, Couscous, Taos hotpot, Nonettes, Quick orange marmalade, ... [All]
- Yeast: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Loaf for "les filles'", Jura bread, Peanut rolls, Fougasse with bacon and Comté, Flaky brownie brioche, ... [All]
- Salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sliced chicken with mushrooms and broccoli, Meatballs, Purple artichokes braised in white wine, Endives , Spinach fritters, ... [All]