Step by step recipe:
- 4 min.
Prepare the flavouring mixture
Cut 250 g Parmigiano reggiano (Parmesan) into small dice and put in a bowl.
- 4 min.Drain 250 g Preserved tomatoes and cut into small pieces. Add to the bowl.
- We will only be using the chive flowers.
- Pull apart the flower heads directly over the bowl and discard the stalks, which are very tough.
- 4 min.Take off all the flowers like this.
- 2 min.
- 1 min.
Flavour the dough
Put 1 kg bread dough into a food-processor bowl and tip the flavouring mixture in on top.
- 2 min.Knead for 2 or 3 minutes, just until evenly mixed in.
- 1 hour
Gather the dough into a ball and transfer to a large, clean bowl, covered with a plastic sheet.
Leave to rest for 1 hour.
- 8 min.Tip the dough out onto a floured worktop.
Weigh out lumps of dough of about 300 g.
- 20 min.Shape into balls, cover with a plastic sheet and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- 7 min.
- 1 hour 30 min.Lay the sticks in the moulds or tins.
Cover with a sheet of plastic and leave to rest for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 40 min.
Bake the loavesPreheat the oven to 460°F (240°C).
Slash the tops of the loaves and bake for about 40 minutes.
Note: As when baking any bread, you should ensure that the oven is filled with steam for the first 15 minutes of baking. This page shows you how; it really is the secret of golden-brown, crusty loaves..
- Leave to cool before turning out.
Remarks:You can add a few finely chopped chives in with the flowers.
For the bread dough, I suggest you use the french baguettes recipe.
You might also like to take a look at this page all about bread.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Bread dough: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Special Cheese and Walnut Sticks, Special Parmesan baguettes, Surprise bread, ... [All]
- Parmigiano reggiano (Parmesan): You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Leek and artichoke tart à la piémontaise, Tomato feuilleté with pesto, Spinach and ricotta ravioli, Spaghetti Carbonara, Tomato pesto, ... [All]
- Preserved tomatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tomato foccacia, Canapés of red mullet with poppy seeds, Pan-fried chicken breast on mozzarella, Pasta with pesto and preserved tomatoes, Cretan Bread, ... [All]
- Chives: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Colcannon, Eggs en Cocotte à la Française, Summery cheese on toast, Warm salad of potatoes and purple artichokes, Surprise eggs, ... [All]