Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 2 min.
- 3 min.Brush the slices of bread rapidly with olive oil on both sides.
- 5 min.Fry in a really hot frying pan until golden brown on both sides.
Keep hot (in the oven at 176°F / 80°C, for example).
- 10 min.
Prepare the red mullet filletsRinse and dry 4 fillets of red mullet, then remove any bones carefully.
- 2 min.Brush the fillets with olive oil on both sides, then salt and pepper them.
- 2 min.Tip 80 g poppy seeds onto a small plate...
- ...then dip the fish fillets flesh side downwards in the poppy seeds.
- 3 min.Coat all the fillets like this.
- 2 min.Put a frying pan on high heat and when really hot, add the red mullet fillets skin side downwards (no need to add any oil, as they have already been brushed with it).
- 3 min.Then turn the fillets over to cook the flesh side.
- 3 min.
Assemble the canapésOn each slice of bread, start by adding a little feta and a little preserved tomato.
- 3 min.Lay a piece of red mullet on top, skin side downwards.
- 2 min.Garnish with a fresh basil leaf and serve immediately.
Remarks:For the oil on the bread and the fish, I recommend using the oil from the preserved tomatoes, if possible, as it is well worth adding the extra flavour.
For the same reason, you can use feta in olive oil with herbs instead of plain feta.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Bread: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Warm autumn salad, Mushrooms on toast, French style, Mediterranean toast, Croque-monsieur gourmand, White asparagus salad, ... [All]
- Preserved tomatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pasta with pesto and preserved tomatoes, Sushi, Tomato foccacia, Spring Bread, Cretan Bread, ... [All]
- Feta: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spinach brik parcels, Courgette tart with mint, Mediterranean toast, Greek salad, Multicoloured cucumber-tomato salad, ... [All]