Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 2 min.
- 3 min.Brush the slices of bread rapidly with olive oil on both sides.
- 5 min.Fry in a really hot frying pan until golden brown on both sides.
Keep hot (in the oven at 176°F / 80°C, for example).
- 10 min.
Prepare the red mullet filletsRinse and dry 4 fillets of red mullet, then remove any bones carefully.
- 2 min.Brush the fillets with olive oil on both sides, then salt and pepper them.
- 2 min.Tip 80 g poppy seeds onto a small plate...
- ...then dip the fish fillets flesh side downwards in the poppy seeds.
- 3 min.Coat all the fillets like this.
- 2 min.Put a frying pan on high heat and when really hot, add the red mullet fillets skin side downwards (no need to add any oil, as they have already been brushed with it).
- 3 min.Then turn the fillets over to cook the flesh side.
- 3 min.
Assemble the canapésOn each slice of bread, start by adding a little feta and a little preserved tomato.
- 3 min.Lay a piece of red mullet on top, skin side downwards.
- 2 min.Garnish with a fresh basil leaf and serve immediately.
Remarks:For the oil on the bread and the fish, I recommend using the oil from the preserved tomatoes, if possible, as it is well worth adding the extra flavour.
For the same reason, you can use feta in olive oil with herbs instead of plain feta.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Bread: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Caesar salad, Smoked eggs, Croque-monsieur gourmand, Welsh (French Welsh Rarebit), Baked leek and Camembert slices, ... [All]
- Preserved tomatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pasta with pesto and preserved tomatoes, Spring Bread, Pan-fried chicken breast on mozzarella, Tomato foccacia, Cretan Bread, ... [All]
- Feta: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cretan salad, Multicoloured cucumber-tomato salad, Feta in olive oil with herbs, Lumberjack turnovers, Tomato and courgette tart, ... [All]
- Poppy seeds: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Mixed seed grissini, Fish in a seed crust, Seeded loaf, Pretzels, ... [All]