Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 3 min.Sprinkle caster sugar over the melted butter.
- 5 min.Do the same for the inside surface of the ring: brush with melted butter, then coat with caster sugar.
- Put the ring back into place.
This will give us a meringue that is lightly caramelized on the outside.
Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
- 5 min.
- 3 min.Pipe a spiral to cover the base inside the ring using a forcing bag.
- 3 min.Then pipe a circle around the edge to form the side of the pavlova.
- 45 min.Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes. Ideally, the meringue should be crisp on the outside and still soft in the centre.
- 15 min.Meanwhile, peel 4 kiwis and dice small.
- 15 min.Do the same thing with ½ pineapple.
Peel 1 banana and slice.
- 5 min.
- 30 min.Take the meringue out of the oven as soon as it is ready and leave to cool (this is important, otherwise it is likely to break).
- 5 min.Slip a knife all around the inside of the ring.
- 5 min.Remove the ring and stand the pavlova on the serving plate.
- 5 min.Assemble the pavlova: spread a layer of cream in the meringue shell.
- 5 min.Top with the diced fruit.
Remarks:The name "pavlova" came from the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, for whom the dessert was invented - another artistic muse, like for peach melba.
A pavlova must be served straight away, as the fruit will soon moisten the meringue and make it go soft.
Use fruit in season (kiwi, pineapple and bananas as as I write). You can achieve excellent results with a mix of soft fruit, combining red (red currants, strawberries, raspberries) and black (blackberries, blackcurrants).
But to "render unto Caesar", as they say, I admit to having pinched the excellent idea of caramelizing the meringue from Christophe Michalak.
Source:Home made, and many thanks to annick for her kiwis.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Chantilly cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ice-cream Vacherin, Strawberry Verveine Tart , Quick Strawberry Millefeuille, European glass, St Tropez tart, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cannelés, Quick orange marmalade, Chocolate and vanilla crème brûlée, Muffin dough, Macarons (the original French macaroons) , ... [All]
- Egg white: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Macarons (the original French macaroons) , Oat financiers for Louise, Succès praliné (praline meringue), Chocolate mousse with hazelnuts, Meringues, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stewed plums, Vanilla ice cream, Apple Tatin Terrine, French Family Cake, Cooking sugar, ... [All]