Step by step recipe:
- 1 min.Pour 50 g caster sugar into a non-stick frying pan, distribute it evenly over the whole surface, and put onto high heat.
- After a while the sugar starts to melt...
- 5 min.... and becomes caramel.
- 1 min.Then add 100 g flaked almonds.
- 2 min.Turn down heat, and stir to coat almonds with caramel.
- 2 min.As soon as the almonds are well caramelized, remove from heat and tip them onto a baking sheet or a sheet of non-stick cooking parchment.
- 3 min.Leave to cool, then crush coarsely with a rolling pin.
- 2 min.Put 200 g Stewed apple (compote) in a small bowl.
- 5 min.Prepare 1 handful raisins.
- 3 min.Add raisins and almonds to stewed apples and mix well.
- 2 min.Spread out circle of puff pastry (or roll out thinly if in a block).
Preheat oven to 200°C or 392°F.
- 5 min.Cut out circles of 10 cm diameter approximately (minimum) and place on a baking sheet.
- With a brush soaked in water, wet all round the edge of each pastry circle to help "weld" the join.
- Put a teaspoon of the apple mixture onto each circle.
- Then fold over each circle to form the turnover.
- Press the edge to seal well.
- Glaze each turnover with beaten egg-yolk, to help them colour during cooking.
- 40 min.You can, with the point of a knife, cut a small design on the top of the turnovers, it might not show much now, but will after cooking.
- 20 min.Put in the oven for 15/20 minutes (watch for colouring), then leave to cool on a wire rack.
For very small turnovers you can roll the large circle of puff pastry out even thinner before cutting out small circles.