Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.
- 3 min.In a large saucepan or casserole, melt 50 g butter until it froths.
- 1 min.When the butter is frothing well, add the chopped onions, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- 10 min.Fry the onions on fairly high heat until lightly browned, stirring frequently to stop them burning.
- 2 min.Sieve 50 g flour into the pan.
- 5 min.Mix in and cook until starting to brown, stirring constantly.
- 1 min.Pour in 200 ml dry white wine all at once.
- 3 min.Stir until well mixed.
Leave to cook for 2 or 3 minutes while stirring.
- 1 min.
- 1 hour 30 min.When boiling, turn the heat down to its lowest, cover and leave to cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- 5 min.Meanwhile, butter 4 slices bread and top with grated cheese.
Press the cheese down gently to help it stick to the buttered bread.
- 4 min.Cut the bread into small squares and arrange these on a baking sheet. Brown under the grill (keep an eye on the colour).
- 1 min.When the onion soup is cooked, check the seasoning.
- 3 min.Serve piping hot in large bowls, topped with with the cheese croutons.
Remarks:Use either white or yellow onions, but preferably not red ones, as they are less suitable for the long slow cooking.
At Step 4 of the recipe, there are 2 conflicting schools of thought: some prefer the more traditional method of cooking the onions until they are dark brown, others (like me) only brown them lightly - it's a matter of taste, of course. I remember as a child staying with my grandmother Jeanne. She used to cook her onions until they were really dark and, back then, I loved that.
For the grated cheese, choose whatever you prefer that browns well, such as Comté, Gruyère or even Emmental.
Source:Based on a recipe by Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cooking sugar, Fresh fruit in sabayon, Special small breads, Valay-Brest, Langoustine gratin, ... [All]
- Onion: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rabbit civet "à la normande", Cassoulet, Carbonnade, Meatballs, Salmon marinated like herring, ... [All]
- Dry white wine: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rillons de Tours, Pork chops in the oven, Seafood sauerkraut, Tartiflette, Cheese tart, ... [All]
- Grated cheese: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cheese Soufflé, Spinach Croque-monsieur , Potato and broccoli gratin, Endives , Italian style gratin, ... [All]