Step by step recipe:
- In bread-making, the water temperature is always important. It's not a fixed value, but related to 3 other temperatures: 1) the temperature of your flour, 2) the room temperature in your kitchen, and 3) the basic temperature of this recipe, which is 56-60°C.
You can calculate the temperature of the water for this recipe in one click, using this small calculator.
- 7 min.
- 1 hourCover with a plastic sheet and let stay for 1 hour.
- 10 min.
- 1 hour 30 min.Put the dough, roughly shape in ball, in a plastic container, covered with a plastic sheet, and let stay for 1h30.
- 3 min.After this time, pour the dough on your working surface...
- 10 min....and scale pieces of 300 grams.
Note: if you plan to make half-size baguettes, you should scale 150g pieces instead.
- 15 min.Shape pieces of dough in balls, like in this short video on the right.
- 15 min.Let stay dough lumps on your working surface for 15 minutes, covered with a plastic sheet.
- 15 min.From lumps, shape baguettes as shown in this video.
- If you use baguettes moulds, put lumps directly in, cover with plastic sheets and let stay for 1 hour.
- 1 hourIf you don't have moulds, put lumps on floured linen, then cover with plastic sheets and let stay for 1 hour.
- 1 min.Preheat your oven at 460°F (240°C), slash top of lumps...
- 20 min....and put in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Note: As when baking any bread, you should ensure that the oven is filled with steam for the first 15 minutes of baking. This page shows you how; it really is the secret of golden-brown, crusty loaves..
- You will really appreciate the very light crumb and the crunch of the crust...
- ...of good French baguettes.
Remarks:You can make baguettes as for other bread: plain or with different flours, or with added seeds, grains, etc.
If you want more information about making your own bread, you can look at this dedicated page.
Source:From Thomas marie
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Plain white flour (French Type 65): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Benoîton, Leavened bread, Mixed seed grissini, Olive and pesto bread, Bacon rolls, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Blackcurrant liqueur, Fillet of beef in a rosemary crust, Sausage and lentils "en cocotte", Tomato foccacia, Pizza dough, ... [All]
- Leaven: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Old style brioche, Peanut rolls, Naan, Panettone, Franche-Comté sticks, ... [All]