Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 3 min.
- 10 min.
- 1 hour 30 min.Gather dough into a ball, cover with a plastic sheet and leave in a warm place to double in volume (1 hour or 2).
- 5 min.At the end of this time, cut dough into two pieces of the same weight, and shape them into long rolls the length of your mould or tin. You can consult the leavened bread recipe to watch a video on how to do this.
- 3 min.Put each lump in a rectangular mould.
- 1 hourFor classical sandwich bread, with slices of this form: cover both moulds with a plastic sheet and leave to rise and overflow a little.
For completely square bread, put a plate on top of each mould and weight it, to force the dough to fill the whole mould as it rises.
Leave to rise about 1 hour until moulds are well filled, or dough is well up the sides in the mould according to choice.
Preheat oven to 240°C or 464°F.
- 30 min.Bake for 20 - 30 minutes (watch colouration towards end of cooking time). Note: if you opt for moulded loaves, leave plate and weight on top during baking.
Remarks:This is the bread for toast, sandwiches and canapés of course, and you will see that its very subtle taste has nothing in common with industrial breads.
If you'd like more information about making your own bread, you can look at this dedicated page.
For even tastier bread, replace white flour with an equal mix of white and whole wheat flour.
Don't worry if you don't have any leaven, here it's just to add flavour as the dough is yeast-raised.
Recipes which use it: 9, of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Oat financiers for Louise, Toffee apple upside-down cake, Bechamel sauce, Foie gras fingers, Pink Reims biscuits, ... [All]
- Whole milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Gratin Dauphinois, Cheese Soufflé, Peach and verbena feuilleté, Naan, Real custard sauce (crème anglaise), ... [All]
- Leaven: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French baguettes, Ocean bread, New leavened bread, Cretan Bread, Special small breads, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Gâteau Nantais, How to prepare cockles, Spinach and hard-boiled egg gratin, Baked apples from St Aubin le Vertueux, Kouign-amann brioche, ... [All]