Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 10 min.Prepare 4 escalopes of veal by removing all skin and nerves if any.
You should aim to get, as far as possible, rectangles of about 10 by 5 cm.
It's not vital for the rectangles to be exact, as they'll be rolled and tied up eventually.
- 1 min.Spread out a slice of ham in front of you.
- 1 min.Put a piece of veal on top.
- 3 min.Trim the ham around the veal, then turn the lot over.
You will then have the veal with ham on top.
- 30 min.Prepare all the escalopes and ham like this.
- 3 min.Take a veal/ham rectangle, salt and pepper its surface, place a tablespoon of parsley/garlic mixture along one edge, then cover with grated cheese.
- Now comes the tricky bit - the rolling:
Start with the aid of knife blade or metal spatula.
- Continue with your fingers.
- ...quite tightly.
- 3 min.Until you get a small roll.
- 5 min.Tie up roll to prevent it from opening during cooking.
You can use cocktail sticks (toothpicks) but it's less effective than string.
- 30 min.Conitnue like this with all the veal/ham rectangles.
If you are not planning to use them the same day, freeze the involtinis raw.
- 5 min.For cooking, take large pan and add 3 tablespoons olive oil over a high heat. When oil is hot, add involtinis and fry until golden brown on each side. Please note that this first operation is not really to cook them: it's just to give them a good colour.
- This is messy because the hot oil spits a lot, so you can put an aluminum foil lid over 2/3 of pan to contain this. But you should not completely cover the pan at this stage, otherwise the steam generated will stop involtinis browning.
- 1 hourWhen involtinis are fully browned, put a lid ont the pan and simmer over a low heat for one hour or more.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.Allow to cook for 10 more minutes, until cream thickens.
You can serve with rice for example.
Foot-note: Each guest should untie the string of his involtini, or you can do it with scissors before serving.
Remarks:Ask your butcher for escalopes as thin as he can make.
For a more Italian taste, you can add some fresh sage with the parsley, and if possible use smoked ham.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Frozen Nougat, Eggs "en cocotte" with spinach, Pistachio tiramisu, Pistachio ice cream, Triple-Cheese Pumpkin Gratin, ... [All]
- Comté cheese: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Courgettes (zuchinis) , Cubed salad, Fougasse with bacon and Comté, Small cheese and bacon rolls , Salmon and spinach quiche, ... [All]
- Escalope of veal: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Wiener Schnitzel, ... [All]
- Ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Ham à la Russe, Stuffed tomatoes and courgettes, Ham "friand" pie, Breton galettes (pancakes), Welsh (French Welsh Rarebit), ... [All]