Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 10 min.Line mould: not easy, so don't be worry if it breaks up into pieces like in the photo...
The advantage of sweet crust pastry is that you can easily patch it up with offcuts.
- 3 min.Your goal is to get an even regular base with sides about 1 inch or 2-3 cm high.
Then put in the fridge.
Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C).
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Then add 2 egg whites, 3 drops food colouring (green) if desired, and mix with soft spatula or wooden spatula until obtain a soft mix.
Because egg whites can differ in volume or weight, I advise you to add 1 first and mix, and then add remaining egg white in stages until getting the required soft texture.
- 30 min.Spread mixture in pastry case and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a rack, then sprinkle with ice sugar.
Serve in fairly thin slices.
Remarks:It's best to allow the cake to cool in the tin, and then turn out and leave on a rack until cold.
And to drink?A tea of course, and you will probably note that when it's cold or windy outside, this cake and the accompanying tea are even better in the warm inside.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Sweetcrust pastry (pâte sablée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pistachio custard tart, Tarte Jurassienne, Rhubarb tart, Exotic fruit tart, Apple amandine tarts from Brélès, ... [All]
- Icing sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sweet pastry, Paris-Brest, Santiago Cake, Coconut paste, Macarons (the original French macaroons) , ... [All]
- Ground almonds: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sicilian Epiphany Pie, Strawberry and rhubarb crumble, Buckwheat almond biscuits, Chestnut moelleux, Checkerboard biscuits, ... [All]
- Egg white: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pistachio madeleines, Pistachio "Financiers", Meringues, Almond tuiles, Clafoutis "Marie-Antoinette", ... [All]