Step by step recipe:
- 1 min.Prepare 125 ml milk.
- 15 min.
- 1 hour 30 min.Knead on slow speed and slowly pour in the milk.
Once evenly mixed, continue kneading on slow speed for a further 5 minutes.
Cover the bowl and leave to rest in a warm place for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 5 min.Heat the waffle iron.
Pour 150 g Pearl sugar onto the batter and mix well (you can do this with the food processor for 30 seconds).
Note: the sugar crystals are added at the last minute so that they don't dissolve. They add a little crunch to the inside of the waffle.
- 1 min.Make the waffles: pour a large spoonful of batter into each half of the lightly-oiled waffle iron and cook...
- 3 min.... until the waffles are golden brown.
Remarks:To bring out the caramel flavour, you can dust the batter with a little caster sugar just before closing the waffle iron.
If you don't have sugar crystals, you can use granulated sugar or crushed sugar lumps (use a hammer).
As always with regional recipes I wish to stress an important point: this should not be taken as "the" Liège waffle recipe, but just one among many.
Source:From the Internet, but dedicated to my son Nicolas, recently installed in Brussels.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Panettone, Chocolate sweetcrust pastry, Elsa's Comtoise galette, Flamiche, Hamburgers, ... [All]
- Pearl sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Flaky brownie brioche, Cramique, St Tropez tart, Benoîton, Milk rolls, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Flaky brownie brioche, Muffin dough, Chestnut cake, Salmon "en papillote" with small vegetables, Fish petals, vegetables julienne, and beurre blanc, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pancake batter, Bonnevaux apple tart, Confectioner's custard (Crème pâtissière, or French pastry cream), Polenta, Choux pastry (pâte à choux), ... [All]