Step by step recipe:
- 1 min.Prepare 125 ml milk.
- 15 min.
- 1 hour 30 min.Knead on slow speed and slowly pour in the milk.
Once evenly mixed, continue kneading on slow speed for a further 5 minutes.
Cover the bowl and leave to rest in a warm place for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 5 min.Heat the waffle iron.
Pour 150 g Pearl sugar onto the batter and mix well (you can do this with the food processor for 30 seconds).
Note: the sugar crystals are added at the last minute so that they don't dissolve. They add a little crunch to the inside of the waffle.
- 1 min.Make the waffles: pour a large spoonful of batter into each half of the lightly-oiled waffle iron and cook...
- 3 min.... until the waffles are golden brown.
Remarks:To bring out the caramel flavour, you can dust the batter with a little caster sugar just before closing the waffle iron.
If you don't have sugar crystals, you can use granulated sugar or crushed sugar lumps (use a hammer).
As always with regional recipes I wish to stress an important point: this should not be taken as "the" Liège waffle recipe, but just one among many.
Source:From the Internet, but dedicated to my son Nicolas, recently installed in Brussels.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pretzels, Almond macaroon cake, Saucipain, Finger biscuits, Special small breads, ... [All]
- Pearl sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Brioche feuilletée (flaky brioche), Flaky brownie brioche, Chouquettes, Milk rolls, St Tropez tart, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Household cake (Gâteau de ménage), Confectioner's custard (Crème pâtissière, or French pastry cream), Buckwheat pancakes, Chocolate sauce, Crackers, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Flaky brownie brioche, Moist cereal bars, Crackers, Mushroom velouté, Chocolate and matcha tea biscuits, ... [All]