Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Begin by cutting the crusts off 12 slices Sandwich bread.
- 5 min.Cut 3 slices ham to the size of the bread slices.
- 5 min.Lightly fry the slices of ham in a very hot pan for just a few seconds on each side.
- 5 min.Spread béchamel sauce on 2 slices of bread (tip: use a broad-bladed knife or palette knife).
Place a piece of ham on top of the sauce on one slice of bread.
- 5 min.Then put the other slice of bread on the ham and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- 1 min.Place the croque-monsieur on a baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F).
- If you are making several croque-monsieurs, it is worth setting up a production line, i.e. spread béchamel sauce on all the bread, then arrange all the slices of ham, etc. This is much faster than doing one at a time.
- Once all your croque-monsieurs are assembled, put the baking sheet into a hot oven.
- 20 min.Cook for about twenty minutes, watching carefully for colouring.
You can put them under the grill to brown if necessary at the end.
- Serve hot or warm if possible, with a green salad for example.
Remarks:You can use whatever ham you prefer; I find that it's best with smoked ham, but it's a matter of taste. The same goes for the cheese. Gruyère, or even better Comté, will give you the best croque-monsieur.
yYu can cut the left-over crusts into small pieces and fry them in a little clarified butter or oil, to make small croutons which are great for adding to salads, for example.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Bechamel sauce: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Leek and Mimolette tart, Gratin slices with spinach, Spinach and hard-boiled egg gratin, Spinach on toast with bechamel, Spinach Croque-monsieur , ... [All]
- Grated cheese: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stuffed cabbage leaves, Potato and broccoli gratin, Endives , Potimarron (chestnut pumpkin) "au gratin", Spinach Croque-monsieur , ... [All]
- Sandwich bread: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chicken club sandwich, Grilled cheese, Eggs Benedict , Fried egg in bread, Spinach Croque-monsieur , ... [All]