Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.Peel and wash 800 g potatoes.
- 10 min.Grate the potatoes fairly coarsely, by hand or machine, then place in a large bowl of cold water. The water will turn cloudy as the potatoes release their starch.
Stir the whole lot well and change the water (or leave the tap running) until all the starch has been removed.
We remove the starch to prevent the potatoes sticking during cooking.
- 10 min.Drain the potatoes thoroughly and leave on a tea-towel to wait.
If you want to do this more efficiently, use a salad spinner.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Grate 200 g cheese (Cheddar for the authentic version).
Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F).
- 2 min.
- 3 min.Tip in the grated potoatoes and stir well.
- 3 min.
- 7 min.Add a little more salt, plenty of pepper and mix well.
Bring to the boil.
- 1 min.As soon as it boils, transfer the pan to the oven...
- 40 min.... and bake for 40 minutes.
The hash brown will bake into a sort of large cake. Check for the colour of the top and - most important - the underneath, which should be golden brown.
Remarks:You can serve this American style, with fried eggs and bacon for example, or in a more classic French style with a good green salad and vinaigrette dressing. Why not try both together?
The typical cheese to use is Cheddar, but any fairly hard cheese you like will do.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Grated potato cakes, Potato purée , Piedmont salad, Valay salad, Hotpot my grandmother's way , ... [All]
- Cheese: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sliced cauliflower with 3 cheeses, Grilled cheese, Filo leeks and cheese tart, Warm cauliflower salad with two cheeses, Involtini-Style Filet Mignon , ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Thin endive tart, Loaf for "les filles'", Potato Waffles with Smoked Salmon, Profiteroles, Crusty pistachio, almond and apricot flan, ... [All]
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Crème de foie gras, Late Winter Soup with Fresh Spinach, Strawberry, kiwi and mascarpone verrines, Spring veal sauté , Spinach and ricotta ravioli, ... [All]