Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Peel the pears.
- 5 min.Cut them into 4 lengthways, then remove the core from each quarter.
Note: if your pears start to oxidize (turn brown) quickly, moisten them with a little lemon juice, or a little water and Vitamin C as you cut them.
- 5 min.Cut the quarters into small pieces in a pan. Add 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice if you have not already added lemon juice during the cutting process.
- 10 min.
- 2 min.Remove from the heat and blend thoroughly.
- 5 min.Return to the heat and bring to the boil. Add 3 g agar-agar while whisking.
Blend again and your pear compote is ready.
- 2nd method (draining):
Put the pan on low heat, but do not add the sugar. Cover and leave to come to the boil.
Take off the lid and leave to cook until the pears are soft.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Your pear compote is ready.
Remarks:The choice of pears is very important. The quality of your compote will depend largely on their variety, ripeness and flavour. Choose the variety you prefer, of course, but I have a weakness for Williams. Avoid using Louise Bonnes as they do not cook well.
If you choose the gelling method, note that the weight of agar-agar is important and must be in proportion to the volume of pears after blending. A good rule of thumb is 4g agar-agar to one litre of blended pears.
Recipes which use it: 1
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Pears: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Yvetot Douillons, Belle-helene in a glass, Fruit salad, 4 pears salad with vanilla, Pear tart with almond cream, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Apple crisps, Chocolate and vanilla crème brûlée, Gâteau Basque , Lime meringue tart, Vanilla ice cream, ... [All]
- Vanilla sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Bounty-style tart for Alison, Caramelized brioche with pear and kiwi, Liège waffles, Like Bounty, Cramique, ... [All]
- Agar-agar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pears in red wine with blackcurrant , Blackcurrant, vanilla and lime verrine , Bounty-style tart for Alison, Quick bramble jelly, Apricot blancmange, ... [All]