Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Peel and chop finely 1 shallot.
Chop tarragon and chervil finely.
Reserve one teaspoon of chopped herbs for garnishing.
- 1 min.Put shallot and herbs in a small pan, salt and pepper generously.
- 15 min.Pour in 100 ml white (spirit) vinegar and 100 ml dry white wine.
Reduce over low heat until you are left with about 1/5 of the original volume.
- 3 min.
- You should get only 2 to 4 tablespoons of this tasty liquid which is the base for your sauce.
This base could be made several days beforehand, and kept in a sealed jar in the fridge.
- 5 min.On the day, melt 250 g butter, remove the foam which rises to the top and discard it.
Your goal is to clarify the butter, removing as far as possbile the white impurities (whey) which will be left on the bottom.
Leave to cool.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.Put over low heat, and beat to form a sabayon.
- Continue to beat until it thickens, and "holds" the whisk.
- Then add the melted butter, a little at a time, while beating continously.
- 15 min.Your Béarnaise will develop its texture. Continue until all the butter is added, apart from the very last bit in the container with all the impurities (discard).
- 2 min.And finally add the spoonful of herbs.
Serve without too much delay. If your dish is not ready, leave the sauce to wait in the bain-marie, not too hot, with a lid.
Remarks:Some technical words: Béarnaise is a sauce of the warm emulsified kind (like hollandaise and mousseline), which means a hot base, here a well-flavoured sabayon, where butter is added to get this smooth texture.
Usually chefs make bearnaise in a different way: everything in a single pan, without a bain-marie. Faster, but more difficult.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pistachio shortbread biscuits, Seafood feuillantines, The total turnip, Household cake (Gâteau de ménage), Nanou's chocolate cake, ... [All]
- Dry white wine: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Seven-hour lamb, Mussels marinière, Mackerel Fillets in White Wine, Beurre blanc sauce, Polenta with spinach and soft-poached egg, ... [All]
- White (spirit) vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to prepare sorrel, Pickled gherkins, Poached eggs, Fresh pasta dough, How to prepare cabbage, ... [All]