Step by step recipe:
- The day before, put 200 g white haricot beans to soak overnight if you are using dried beans. For fresh ones this isn't necessary.
- 10 min.Shell 200 g peas, or use frozen ones.
- 10 min.Peel, wash and chop 4 spring onions (scallions).
- 20 min.
- 10 min.Wash 200 g green beans, cut off the ends and cut into pieces.
- 29 min.
- 40 min.
- 20 min.Peel and boil 200 g green asparagus in salted water until just tender, but still with some crunch.
- 20 min.Throw away the water that the beans have soaked in and replace with salted water, Boil until they are cooked but still slightly firm.
- 1 min.Pour 6 tablespoons olive oil into a large pan over medium heat. When hot, add the chopped onions, salt, pepper and cook while stirring for 1 minute.
Add the turnips, carrots and potatoes. Stir to mix well.
- 5 min.Add the courgettes, haricot beans, green beans and asparagus. Stir to mix well and cook together for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
This preliminary cooking of the vegetables in oil is important to add flavour to the minestrone.
- 35 min.
- 10 min.Then add the tomatoes, check seasoning and leave to cook for a further 10 minutes.
Remarks:Ideally a minestrone should include at least 5 vegetables, but they can be any you choose, so you can vary this recipe in both ingredients and proportions.
You can also add a cupful of rice along with the vegetables. There are those who consider that this should replace the haricot beans, but I think it's good with both.
Minestrone is even better reheated the following day.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rum babas, Couscous, Two-olive ciabatta, Sushi, Lumberjack turnovers, ... [All]
- White haricot beans: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sausages with baked beans, French style, Cassoulet, Beans with tomatoes, ... [All]
- Green beans: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Icelandic-style fish and vegetable pie, Macédoine of vegetables, French bean salad with vinaigrette , Rolls of fish in smoked ham, Mexican-style pork medallions , ... [All]
- Peas: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chinese style chicken, Fillet of pollack cooked in two stages, Rice and peas, Salmon "en papillote" with small vegetables, New York style pasta, ... [All]