Step by step recipe:
- The day before, put 200 g white haricot beans to soak overnight if you are using dried beans. For fresh ones this isn't necessary.
- 10 min.Shell 200 g peas, or use frozen ones.
- 10 min.Peel, wash and chop 4 spring onions (scallions).
- 20 min.
- 10 min.Wash 200 g green beans, cut off the ends and cut into pieces.
- 29 min.
- 40 min.
- 20 min.Peel and boil 200 g green asparagus in salted water until just tender, but still with some crunch.
- 20 min.Throw away the water that the beans have soaked in and replace with salted water, Boil until they are cooked but still slightly firm.
- 1 min.Pour 6 tablespoons olive oil into a large pan over medium heat. When hot, add the chopped onions, salt, pepper and cook while stirring for 1 minute.
Add the turnips, carrots and potatoes. Stir to mix well.
- 5 min.Add the courgettes, haricot beans, green beans and asparagus. Stir to mix well and cook together for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
This preliminary cooking of the vegetables in oil is important to add flavour to the minestrone.
- 35 min.
- 10 min.Then add the tomatoes, check seasoning and leave to cook for a further 10 minutes.
Remarks:Ideally a minestrone should include at least 5 vegetables, but they can be any you choose, so you can vary this recipe in both ingredients and proportions.
You can also add a cupful of rice along with the vegetables. There are those who consider that this should replace the haricot beans, but I think it's good with both.
Minestrone is even better reheated the following day.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to seal a terrine or casserole dish, Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), Cooking sugar, Sushi, Natural leaven, ... [All]
- White haricot beans: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Beans with tomatoes, Cassoulet, Sausages with baked beans, French style, ... [All]
- Green beans: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Mexican-style pork medallions , Macédoine of vegetables, Salmon "en papillote" with small vegetables, Green beans with tomatoes, French bean salad with vinaigrette , ... [All]
- Peas: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Fillet of pollack cooked in two stages, New York style pasta, Fish fillet in express cooking envelope, Paella, Salmon "en papillote" with small vegetables, ... [All]