Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Cut 1 kg beef into large cubes.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.
- 10 min.Pour 5 tablespoons olive oil into a large heavy-based pan on high heat.
When hot, add the pieces of meat and fry until browned on each side (do not salt, as this will bring out the juices, which will stop them browning).
When browned, remove the meat from the pan and transfer to a plate to wait.
- 2 min.Use the same pan, which should now contain just a little fat, and fry the chopped onions with salt and pepper for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- 3 min.
- 1 min.Add the diced carrots.
- 3 min.Add 1 litre beer, then salt and pepper.
- 2 hoursTurn the heat down to minimum and leave to simmer for about 2 hours...
- ...until the beer has reduced to make a thick and tasty sauce. At the same time the meat will have become very well cooked tender.
Remarks:For the beer, I advise you to use a dark beer which will give stronger flavour.
In the so-called "Flemish" carbonnade, a little brown sugar or a slice of gingerbread spread with mustard is added to the dish. But, I don't feel that either is necessary.
For more flavour, you can add a beef stock cube.
Carbonnade is one of those dishes, like boeuf bourguignon for example, which is even better when it is reheated.
And to drink?The same beer as you add to the dish - a Belgian beer, of course!
I prefer "Mort-Subite" Geuze ("sudden death"!), but you can use a dark beer like Chimay, or a British-style mild or strong ale.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Beef : You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Taos hotpot, Beef braised in reduced red wine, Tournedos Rossini, How to slow cook meat, Fillet of beef in a rosemary crust, ... [All]
- Beer: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Endive and beer soup, Gratin du Nord, Welsh (French Welsh Rarebit), ... [All]
- Olive oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Leek and fresh tuna tart, Lille style chicken, Chicken club sandwich, Rosemary steamed fish, Warm chicken salad, ... [All]
- Carrot: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Salmon marinated like herring, Hotpot my grandmother's way , How to slow cook meat, Crispy prawn rolls, How to prepare carrots, ... [All]