Step by step recipe:
- 30 min.Peel 1 kg apple, cut into four and remove the core, then cut each quarter into small pieces, and put in a pan.
1st important note: It's important that apple pieces are small, and of regular size, so that they cook quickly and evenly.
- 2 min.
- 10 min.Cover and put on low heat, until apples are just tender (approximately 10 minutes).
3rd important note: Cover the pan tightly, to conserve the small amount of water and prevent apples from burning.
- Take off heat and remove lid.
4th important note: You don't need to cook a long time, the longer you cook, the more the fruit loose their vitamins.
- 1 min.Not absolutely needed, but if you like it smooth, Blend briefly to obtain desired consistency.
- 30 min.Leave to cool by placing bottom of pan in cold water for 30 minutes, and stirring from time to time.
- Transfer to a jar or other sealed container, and keep in the fridge.
- You can also watch this small video which summarize the recipe.
Remarks:The kind of apples used will strongly influence the taste and the texture of your compote, so choose good ones. In my opinion, the best compotes are made with slightly acidic apples like the "reinettes".
Recipes which use it: 9, of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Apple Tatin Terrine, Apple and almond gratin, Sweet pancake rolls from Brittany, Bonnevaux apple tart, Norman flambéed apples, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pilau rice, How to cook pasta properly, Valay-Brest, Praline, Quick courgette soup with cheese, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Fresh fruit in sabayon, Mirlitons, Arizona cupcakes, Mulled wine Belle-Plagne style, Warm apple feuillantines, ... [All]