Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 2 min.
- 3 min.Tip in 200 ml rice all at once, and "pearl", which means: cook 2 or 3 minutes, stirring continuously...
- ...until rice become translucent, "pearled".
- 1 min.Then add chicken stock in one go...
- ...and mix thoroughly.
- 20 min.Cover (lid or aluminium foil) and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- 2 min.After this time, remove from the oven, uncover and add 20 g butter in small pieces, while stirring to melt them.
- Your pilau rice is ready, but it can be covered and kept hot for a while.
Remarks:Unfortunately, cooking rice like pasta (in boiling water then draining) is the worst method! Because like that most of the flavour disappears with the water, and that's a pity.
On the other hand in a rice-cooker or using the pilau method, the rice has only the volume of liquid that it will absorb, and so retains its flavour.
To succeed with pilau rice, there are 2 important points
1) You should never use more than one and a half time the volume of liquid than volume of rice.
2) cooking time should not exceed 20 minutes at 200°C (390°F), covered.
Sometimes, you might read in other recipes, that pilau rice can only be cooked in oven. That's not true. Yes, it's better in the oven because it's softer and cooks more evenly, but not obligatory. You can cook it on low heat, covered, without stirring.
You can also vary the taste by adding a bayleaf during cooking or a bouquet garni or other herbs of your choice. You can also change the chicken stock for vegetable or beef stock, or add some dry white wine. So, let your imagination guide you.
Recipes which use it: 11Of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: "Buttonhole" quail eggs, Kouing-aman, Steak burger topped with egg, Minestrone, Couscous, ... [All]
- Rice: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Morel risotto with Vin Jaune and Mont d'Or, How to cook rice in rice-cooker, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Chicken with rice and leeks, Creamy risotto with vegetables , ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Harvest Gratin, Lobster Thermidor, Du Barry soup, Pecan fruit rolls , Breton Sandwich, ... [All]