Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.Wash 3 egg-plants or aubergine and cut into thin slices.
Salt them and put in a strainer for about one hour, until some of the juice runs out.
- 20 min.
- 5 min.
- 1 min.Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan. When hot put in the aubergine slices.
- 5 min.Cook for 4 or 5 minutes while stirring, then transfer onto absorbant paper.
- 1 min.
- 20 min.
- 1 min.Add tomatoes.
- 30 min.Mix well, cover, and cook on low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3 min.After this time, uncover, discard bouquet garni and garlic.
- 18 min.
- 3 min.Preheat oven to 392°F (200°C).
Butter a gratin dish, and arrange half the aubergine slices in a layer in the bottoom.
- 3 min.Cover with half the meat.
- 3 min.Cover with half the bechamel.
- 10 min.Repeat these 3 layers, and finish by sprinkling with some cheese.
- 30 min.Cook in the oven until top is golden brown (about 30 minutes).
Remarks:As with all gratin style dishes, moussaka can be made in advance, even frozen to be reheated when required.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Minced beef: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Hamburgers, Italian style gratin, Stuffed tomatoes and courgettes, Meatballs, Spaghetti Bolognese, ... [All]
- Bechamel sauce: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ham "friand" pie, Bolognaise lasagne, Italian style gratin, Spinach and hard-boiled egg gratin, Leek and Mimolette tart, ... [All]
- Feta: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Multicoloured cucumber-tomato salad, Lumberjack turnovers, Feta in olive oil with herbs, Cretan salad, Tomato and courgette tart, ... [All]
- Grated cheese: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stuffed tomatoes and courgettes, Gratin of chicken with rice and sautéed mushrooms, French onion soup, Aperitif rolls, Vegetable clafoutis, ... [All]