Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 10 min.Wash and slice 1 leek thinly, set aside.
- 10 min.Peel and wash 4 carrots, cut into pieces, set aside.
- 10 min.Peel and wash 4 turnips, cut into pieces, set aside.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.
- 10 min.Do the same thing with 800 g chicken breast.
Do this for all the meats, then set aside.
- 3 min.In the same pan, add a little more olive oil if necessary, add onion and garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- 1 min.Add meat, 4 tablespoons spices for couscous and mix again.
- Add all the vegetables and 350 g tinned (canned) chickpeas, mix again.
- 2 min.
- 15 min.Bring to the boil.
- 1 hourThen cover, and let cook on slow fire for at least 1 hour (2 or 3 hours is better).
- 5 min.
- 5 min.When water is boiling, remove from heat and add 5 glasses semolina, mix well, cover and leave for 5 minutes.
- After this time, add 50 g butter (or more), and mix with a fork. It's ready.
- When couscous is ready, broth is in a beautiful red and all vegetables are soft.
- The traditional way to serve: a layer of couscous, then vegetables and meat, and a good deal of sauce over the top.
Remarks:To prepare a hotter sauce: take 2 or 3 ladles of stock from the pan, and in a bowl mix with a good tablespoon of harissa (according to your taste) and some chick-peas. Serve with couscous for spicy sauce aficionados.
As for the chicken, choose a good quality one (free-range, of traceable origin, or "red label" in France for instance).
Proportions are given as suggestions, do not hesitate to adapt to your taste.
You can add other vegetables if you like: bell pepper, aubergine/eggplants, and other meats: meatballs, lamb, spicy sausage, beef...
If you can't find a ready-made mix of couscous spices, you can make your own from: cumin, coriander (ground), cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom and turmeric. Paprika, cloves and caraway are also sometimes used.